Contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary to employ scientists to have qualifying R&D expenditure. A positive response to ANY of the following questions would imply that a claim might be possible:
- Do you develop new products or processes?
- Do you create new or improved products?
- Do you duplicate existing products or processes in an appreciably improved way?
- Have you made advancements in your field of work?
- Do you employ technical staff, engineers, software developers or scientists?
- Do you consider the company to be technically innovative?
There are strict time limits for making claims and so an early review maximises the relief captured.